I recently upgraded from Gnome2 to… mate. Let’s not get into the reasons, since this is just about solving the desktop icons.
So getting straight to it: in nautilus, all the metadata about files as they appear in the GUI (so: icon position, size, emblems, etc) exist in a series of files in $HOME/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
(each file in there related to a filesystem)
caja, on the other hand, uses the SAME FILES – but sometimes different metadata.
So, when I moved from gnome2/nautilus to mate/caja, I found that my desktop icons retained their same sizes, emblems… but not location.
Why is this so? Continue reading →
Just a quickie. You want to know which file holds your GNOME2 desktop icon layout, sizes, emblems, and so on?
Look no further than $HOME/.local/share/gvfs-metadata/home*
I assume Mate (being a fork of Gnome2) has somewhere similar. GNOME3? No idea.
So prior to yesterday, my new and clean $HOME had not seen any X session at all. No freedesktop defined XDG base directories.
Then I logged in and…
Continue reading →
So as hinted yesterday, GNOME2 + pekwm. Here it is, in three simple steps. Continue reading →
So I’m calling it. I think my systems are back up to speed – indeed, I’ve not had a failure in weeks now. I’ve been running my desktop from a spare account for a little while, and I think I’ll migrate this setup to my primary account and let the file cruft begin solidly again!
My setup is… gnome2 (thanks linuxmint, debian edition) with pekwm as the windowmanager (that’s /desktop/gnome/session/required_components/windowmanager to you, gconftool), and xcompmgr to give me nifty compositing and real shadows on menus (so far, I’m toying with “xcompmgr -c -r 8 -l 1 -t 1 -o 0.6 -f -D 0.01 -I 0.1 -O 0.1″
It’ll be nice to have my real $HOME as the foundation of my desktop again!
ssh_exchange_identification: Connection closed by remote host
…can also be caused by incorrect permissions on /var/run/sshd on the server
(I found various other solutions when trying to troublesolve this yesterday. But not the above one which was the actual problem!